This time around I had a goal: birth centre, no drugs and labour/possibly birth in water. Preferably spontaneous.
The birth centre is low risk with minimal monitoring, meaning if I needed to be induced it was no longer an option.
Argh!
How frustrating, trying to relax and help a baby want to make an appearance is hard!!
The hours passed and nothing exciting happened, infact baby's head still wasn't engaged and the thought of being induced again with my previous experience still so fresh in mind dawned on me. It was such a hard decision for me to make, I was not pressured in anyway, I was given adequate information especially regarding cord prolapse and asked all staff and doctors for their personal opinion, including my birth centre midwife who I trusted alot. The range of emotions I was going through with a huge decision that needed to be made was overwhelming, with hormones running high the tears started flowing. I was so confused. Wait it out and chance nothing happened and could end in induction anyway, risk cord prolapse, say goodbye to my birth centre labour have sintocin and get things moving which was against all planning. With a million different things going through my head and discussing it with hubby, we decided to bring on labour using syntocinon.
Ten hours after my water had broken I had my first twinge of pain. The syntocin was started at 2ml and then increased accordingly to the contraction strength, length and resting time in between. Still nothing exciting happened, some pain that I could breathe through and then nothing, the drip was increased more and more and finally at 1:00am I had contractions that were convincing enough for me to think they were doing something productive. I felt totally in control and was able to breathe through them and I visualised my baby moving further and further down with each pain.
At 1:55am I had my first routine internal which determined that I was 4-5 cms dialated, I immediately thought to myself:
"oh no, this pain is so intense, I don't think I can do it any longer".
I started on the gas. My birth centre midwife explained that she was going to have a break and cup of tea now so she didn't miss the birth in a couple of hours time ... she left the room at 2:05am returning 10 mins later.
In those ten minutes I ordered the relief midwife to talk to me during the contractions as it was too quiet, thinking about it now I'm sure I sounded abit rude. oops. She had a european accent that sounded quite soothing...
As my birth centre midwife walked back into the room I was already pushing, infact my body was pushing. I was told to pant through one pain and then before I knew it my baby was born.
"oh, boy" I heard in an accent.
Looking in amazement at the gorgeous little miracle that had been placed upon my chest, I had heard the word "boy" and was completely happy and in love.
"lets see what it is" I heard as blankets were being moved.
"ohhhh , It's a GIRL" my birth centre midwife said in amazement.
(the relief midwife used "oh boy" as an expression as to how fast the baby had come, she was not referring to the sex of the baby after all)
My eyes swelled with tears of joy, I never expected that she would be a girl. No girls on hubby's side of the family, my gut instinct said boy and I swear I saw boy bits at the 34 week scan. I called my mum with the exciting news within 5 mins of her birth as I was so - I can't even describe what I felt really, no words can explain it.
Dakota Dianne Lorraine Latchman
July 26th 2011
2:22am
3190g - 7lb
49cm
In total my labour was 1 hour and 25 minutes, gas for pain relief, baby turned out of posterior position, home within four hours after the birth and I felt great as I returned home at sunrise to my beautiful boys who had slept through the night and woke to greet our newest family member.
![]() |
| Mummy & Dakota |
| Daddy & Dakota |
| Dakota |
| Jordan & Dakota |
Jensen meets Dakota
Our little family is now complete and I am still in shock that I gave birth to a little princess.
Dreams do come true.

they sure do come true! congratulations again on your beautiful new addition to your family
ReplyDelete